What are Modal Verbs?
In English, modal verbs are special verbs which behave differently from normal verbs. Here are some important variances:
1. Modal verbs do not take “-s” in the third person.
- He can speak English.
- She should be in Dublin by 9:00.
2. You use “not” to make modal verbs negative, even in Simple Present and Simple Past.
- He should not be late.
- They might not come to English classes.
3. Many modal verbs cannot be used in the past tenses or the future tenses.
- He will can go with us. Not Correct !
- She musted study very hard. Not Correct !
Common Modal Verbs
Find us on
Official website: http://www.learnenglishindublin.com/en/home.html